Delusion-Elle

delusional, since 1991 *pew pew*

Nein! As my life has found a certain rhythm and routine, I've come to realize that I have quite a bit of free time on my hands, so I've started to learn German. I'm following BBC Languages' "German Steps" to give myself some structure and a syllabus to follow. The aspect about this BBC Languages guide that enamoured me is that they send me weekly e-mails telling me which unit I should be working on in order to keep on track to finishing the "course" in 12 weeks. However, I do find that the BBC Languages guide presents information in a somewhat jumbled fashion where phrases are favoured over individual words so I have come back to this blog with hopes of sorting things out in a manner that seems more logical to me.

Lesson 1: Basics
- To me, the way to learn language is to pick up the basic building blocks first -- not to have structures presented to you to be memorized for duplication. With the basics, I hope to get the simplest bits of language into my arsenal early so that I do not doubt myself when these bits come up later in much more confusing contexts. This information by itself is not very useful, but they are common knowledge: pronouns, verbs, numbers, months of the year. The vocab is not meant to be memorized right now, but rather my intent is for early exposure to get these things to stick in my memory better.

Pronouns:

German English
ich I
du you (informal)
er/sie/es he/she/it
wir/sie/Sie we/they/you (formal)

*Note about 'sie':
It can mean... When...
you (formal) It starts with a capital letter
The verb ends with -en
she/it It starts with a lower case letter
The verb ends with -t
they It starts with a lower case letter
The verb ends with -en

Basic verbs:
  • Sein (to be)
    ich bin
    du bist
    er/sie/es ist
    wir/sie/Sie sind
  • Haben (to have)
    ich habe
    du hast
    er/sie/es hat
    wir/sie/Sie haben
  • Können (to be able to)
    ich kann
    du kannst
    er/sie/es kann
    wir/sie/Sie können
Numbers:

1 - eins
2 - zwe
3 - drei
4 - vier
5 - fünf
6 - sechs
7 - sieben
8 - acht
9 - neun
10 - zehn

11 - elf
12 - zwölf
13 - dreizehn
14 - vierzehn
15 - fünfzehn
16 - sechzehn
17 - siebzehn
18 - achtzehn
19 - neunzehn
20 - zwanzig

21 - einundzwanzig
22 - zweiundzwanzig
30 - dreißig
34 - vierunddreißig
40 - vierzig
50 - fünfzig
60 - sechzig
70 - siebzig
80 - achtzig
90 - neunzig

100 - (ein)hundert
101 - hunderteins/hundertundeins
132 - hundertzweiunddreißig/hundertundzweiunddreißig
200 - zweihundert
300 - dreihundert
400 - vierhundert
500 - fünfhundert
600 - sechshundert
700 - siebenhundert
800 - achthundert
900 - neunhundert

Months:
Januar
Februar
März
April
Mai
Juni
Juli
August
September
Oktober
November
Dezember

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Join the bitchfest!